(INCOMING 9TH GRADERS ONLY)
|Which selection process applies to you?||Events for Future Maroons|
NOTE: Because of our special academy model, students who live out of the Austin High attendance zone must complete the Academies at Austin High Curriculum Transfer Application to be considered for admission to a limited number of spots available in our academies.
If your incoming Freshman has not completed course selection for the 23-24 SY, you can visit our website to review course options. We will host an Incoming Freshman Course Selection Night for all students that do not attend our feeder schools on March 7th from 6-7:30 in our PAC. Please make sure students bring a device that can connect to the internet to complete course selection.
Are you interested in a school tour for your future 9th grader? If so, click here to join an upcoming tour group. We are excited to meet our future Maroons!
Join us at Maroon & White Night to see what Austin High School can offer your future Maroon! Maroon & White Night is our annual showcase event for incoming 9th graders. Hope to see you all there on December 1st! The event starts in the Austin High PAC at 6 PM.
SPECIFIC PROCESS TO APPLY
Step 1: Click here to find your attendance zone
Step 2: Read the different circumstances below and follow the directions listed based on your attendance zone.
- If the "School Assignment by Residential Address" indicates you should attend Austin High, then only complete the Academy Preference Survey
- Available DECEMBER 2, 2022
- Deadline to complete is JANUARY 13, 2023
- AHS counselors and the Academies Office will visit feeder middle schools prior to the deadline to answer questions, but students may complete the form any time in December/January, after exploring options at Maroon & White Night on December 1, 2022 at 6:00 -7:30 PM at the AHS campus.
- If the "School Assignment by Residential Address" indicates you are NOT assigned to Austin High, then you must complete the Academies at Austin High Curriculum Transfer Application. Austin High is a very welcoming place, so we love to see our family grow! If you are not in our attendance zone but are interested in our academies and award-winning programs, you'll need to fill out an application for the academies. Applications are reviewed through a competitive process that considers essay responses, grades, and test scores.
How are students placed in academies at Austin High?
Students will rank their academy preferences and are placed into the lottery based on their academy preferences. Consider your first and second choice carefully, as most students are placed in one of their top two choices. If you do not get your first choice, you will be placed on a waiting list and you may have the chance to move into that academy later, as students move and slots open up. If you would like to switch your academy, you may do so at the end of each semester, only if spots are available until the end of your 10th-grade year.
Our Academies at Austin High Curriculum Transfer Application has four parts. All four parts must be completed by 11:59 p.m. on January 13, 2023, before a candidate will be considered. Please read the instructions carefully and remember that this process is only for students not assigned to Austin High school (see Step 1).
PART 1: AISD Common Application
Applicants much complete the AISD Common Application for a Magnet/Application Program.
- The Austin ISD Intent to Apply for a Magnet/Application Program form can be found in the Austin ISD Parent Cloud. If you are new to Austin ISD and do not have a Parent Cloud Account, please create a Parent Cloud Account before proceeding. You will need to submit proof of residence in Austin ISD (utility bill in parent name).
- Once in the Parent Cloud, search for the “Common Application” tile.
- The application opens on October 17th and must be completed by January 13th, 2023. The AISD Common Application should be completed prior to the Academies at Austin High Curriculum Transfer Application so please submit it early.
PART 2: Academies at Austin High Curriculum Transfer Application APPLICATION IS OPEN!
All candidates not in the Austin HS attendance zone must complete an online application. The Academies at Austin High Curriculum Transfer Application will be available starting November 1st. The application is now open for the 23-24 school year.
PART 3: WRITTEN ESSAY
Applicants will complete a written essay at Austin High or at one of the middle school campuses listed below. The writing prompt will be released during the essay session. During the essay session, students will have 45 minutes to respond to the provided essay prompt.
Please get in touch with Lacy.Blakley@austinisd.org to discuss any documented student accommodations such as extended time or computer use. A copy of the accommodations will need to be provided.
- Small Middle School-November 18, 2022 @ 1:40 PM
- O.Henry Middle School- November 17, 2022 @ 1:45 PM
- Austin High School- Saturday December 10, 2022 @ 9 AM
MAKE-UP ESSAY SESSION: Wednesday, January 11th, 2023 @ 3:30 PM. The session will be held at AHS. Students will check in at the west side doors in the front office.
No sign-up is required to attend a writing session. Students can attend any session,
PART 4: SUPPLEMENTAL MATERIALS (note: students currently attending an Austin ISD middle school do not need to submit supplemental materials)
- Copy of student’s report card from the Fall 2022 semester of school
- Copy of student’s most recent STAAR scores (or equivalent nationally-recognized standardized exam)
- Supplemental Materials from Part 4 may be scanned and emailed to email@example.com, hand-delivered to the Main Office on the 1st floor at Austin High School, or mailed to:
Attn: Academy Office
Austin High School
1715 W. Cesar Chavez
Austin, TX 78703
SCANNED AND EMAILED - Supporting documents must be received by 11:59 p.m. on January 13, 2023
HAND-DELIVERY –Supporting documents must be received by 4:30 p.m. on Friday, January 13, 2023.
MAILED – Supporting documents delivered by mail must be postmarked on or before January 13, 2023.
Looking for more information?
- Academies at Austin High Curriculum Transfer Application available for students who live outside of the attendance zone - November 1, 2022
- Parent/Student Academy Virtual Information Night (all parents welcome) - November 2, 2022 @ 6:00pm
- Meeting ID: 828 9907 0158
- Passcode: 241770
- Maroon & White Night (Austin High Showcase) - December 1, 2022 @ 6:00pm at Austin High
- The Academy Preference Survey opens December 2, 2022 for students zoned to Austin High School
- Academies at Austin High Curriculum Transfer Application deadline for students who live outside of the attendance zone - January 13, 2023
- Academy Preference Survey deadline for students in the attendance zone or who have received a priority transfer - January 13, 2023
- Academy Decision letters emailed to students - February 6, 2023
- Course Advising Workshop for all incoming 9th-grade students (and parents) - TBD
- Intent to Attend Austin High Survey Completion Deadline - February 17, 2023