ACADEMY PLACEMENT INFORMATION FOR INCOMING STUDENTS
First, determine whether you are in the Austin High attendance zone by typing your address into the School Finder tool: AISD SCHOOL FINDER
Students in the Austin High Attendance Zone
Students OUTSIDE the Attendance Zone
How are students placed in academies?
Is everyone in an academy?
If you live outside the attendance zone for Austin High, we would love to have you join the academy model by choosing AHS as your high school!
To Apply for Admissions:
Step 1: Go to the "Enroll Austin" tile on the parent portal to go through the Priority Registration process, and select Austin High School. You may select several schools of interest and rank your choices. (Each student may rank up to 7 schools.) Enroll Austin will match you to the schools you are eligible to attend.
Enroll Austin is the "common application" used for any choice school such as a magnet, academy-based schools, special programs, etc.
Please note: transportation is not provided to Austin High School for students who live outside the attendance zone.
Want to learn more about Austin High School?
MAROON & WHITE NIGHT
Join us at Maroon & White Night to see what Austin High School can offer your future Maroon! The event starts in the Austin High PAC at 6 PM, then moves into an open house format.
This annual showcase event will highlight performing arts and allow time for prospective students to meet with coaches to ask about team tryouts, learn about clubs and electives at Austin High, and explore each academy wing to speak with current students and teachers about their experiences. We recommend all students come to Maroon & White Night before completing the Academy Preference Survey.
Are you interested in a school tour for your future 9th grader? If so, click HERE to join an upcoming tour group. We offer two tours each month from October to January, then one tour a month from February to May. We do not have a shadow program at Austin High, and we do not offer private tours outside the scheduled dates. We want to have our Academy Ambassadors on hand to greet you and answer all questions!
Our counselors have visited Small, O. Henry, Lively, and Kealing to share information about how 9th graders should select courses, and counselors will return to middle schools in January to help students finalize their selections. Please visit the Course Scheduling page under our Student Life tab to read more about choice sheets.
1) Students and families will consult with current teachers to determine if academic level or advanced level courses are the best fit for the following required courses: English I, Biology, World Geography, Math
2) Then select your electives (these are not academy-specific, but blended with students from all academies)
- choose a first choice and second choice Fine Arts class
- continue the language you started studying in middle school OR begin a World Language. At Austin High, we offer Spanish, French, Latin, and American Sign Language. German is offered through a shared school.
- begin a CTE pathway in 9th grade -- pathways require a sequence of 4 courses
- sign up for physical education (PE, Outdoor Adventure, sports, dance, cheer, marching band, etc.)