"When it comes to school, students who miss school... miss out. Attendance boosts student achievement, improves the quality of your child's educational experience, and it prepares them for college, good careers, and successful adulthood.
For every day of school missed, it takes two or more days for a student to catch up. Except in the case of illness, many school absences can be avoided with a little extra effort. "
- from AISD Attendance Office
Please refer to the school calendar and bell schedule when making appointments and planning travel. Try to plan events and travel so your child does not miss instructional time and school days. Absences for personal reasons and personal appointments are not excused absences.
Arriving late to campus or returning from an appointment?
- Students should check in at the 1st floor Attendance Office to receive a pass to class.
- A parent or doctor note should be submitted digitally or may be turned in to the 1st floor Attendance Office in room 148.
Leaving campus early?
- OPTION ONE: Submit an Early Dismissal Request BY 1:00 PM THE DAY BEFORE a planned early dismissal
- OPTION TWO: A student drops off an early dismissal note at the 1st floor office in room 148 ON THE DAY OF the early dismissal
- OPTION THREE: A parent/guardian visits the 1st floor office in Room 148 to check-out a student in person ON THE DAY OF the early dismissal
Parents should park in the short-term visitor parking on the West side of the school.
- Enter the building on the West side of the school and present your driver's license or any official identification.
- Go to Room 148 to complete the checkout process.
- The office staff will have your child brought to the office for departure.
EXCUSED ABSENCE PROCESS
Following an excused absence, parents/guardians should complete the "School Absence Note" and submit it to "School Absence Note" and Documentation Submission Portal, along with any supporting documentation, within TWO days of the absence. The "School Absence Note" and documentation can also be accepted by email at email@example.com or by fax at 512-414-7254.
All Juniors and Seniors are given 2 excused absence days per school year to visit a college campus. In order for your absence to be approved you must complete this process:
- REQUIRED: Request a letter from the college/university stating that you were visiting their campus on a specific date(s) and confirm that it includes a school official's signature. This cannot be a brochure, flyer, or an email. It MUST be a letter on school letterhead with your name and student ID written on it.
- Submit a scanned copy of your letter to firstname.lastname@example.org within 2 days of returning. Be sure to write your student ID# at the top of your letter.
**Only Juniors and Seniors are allowed 2 full days per year for college visits. Excused absences will only be honored if the student follows all directions for the college visit.
ATTENDANCE & CREDIT RECOVERY
Students have different options to recover attendance/credit. Please direct questions about Credit Recovery options to your student’s Academy A.P.
- Academy for Classical Studies (ACS): Liz Jenkins, 512-414-2505 ext. 71529
- Academy for Global Studies (AGS): Beatriz Fernós, 512-414-2505 ext. 28412
- Academy of Science and Innovation (ASI): Charlsie Johnson, 512-414-2505 ext. 71549
- Academy for Design and Technology (ADT): Dr. Jonathan Purser, 512-414-2505 ext. 71601
- Administrative Assistant for Assistant Principals: Maria Quick, 512-414-2505 ext. 71567